Acknowledged as one of the world’s greatest leaders in the field of mind – body medicine, Deepak Chopra, M.D., is the founder of the Chopra Centre in California and is a best-selling author on topics such as mind-body healing, quantum -mechanics, spirituality and peace. Deepak ‘s mission of “bridging the technological miracles of the west with the wisdom of the east” continues to be his main focus. To read the previous post on this series, you can read it here.
Deepak’s talk was very intense and very interesting and I’d love to see him again! He was the last speaker of the day, and as I was just about to leave the building via a much less popular exit, I happened to walk out at the very same time as Deepak! I exchanged a few words with him, thanking him for such an insightful talk. He was very appreciative and friendly. So that’s three out of the four speakers I managed to talk to!!
- 70% of heart cells makes up molecules of emotion
- Our mind regulates the flow of energy
- Our physical bodies are always changing. Every atom that belongs to you belongs to everyone else. In less than 1yr, we will replace 98% of the atoms in our body (mind blowing, huh?!)
- Our consciousness is constantly living through our molecules that express us.
- The physical Universe is not physical; it’s vibrations of energy and information.
- The space between our thoughts is the potential of infinite possibilities, unpredictability, creativity and intention.
- A shift in perspective = enlightment.
- When you change the way you look at something, what you look at will change.
- Definition of the mind: it’s an embodied and relational process that regulates the flow of energy and information.
- Only 20% of people enjoy their jobs. If you enjoy what you do and the people you work with, this percentage goes up dramatically.
- The countries that scored the highest in total wellbeing: 1. Denmark, 2. Switzerland, 3. Canada and 4. Australia. USA came in at 12th position!! Oh dear.
- Social wellbeing – how often do you connect with people? Need to spend 6hrs a day interacting with people you care about. If you have a happy friend it will make you happy and improve your health.
- Financial wellbeing – the more you learn to give the more you’ll get back. Financially secure people will spend money on an ‘experience’ rather than a ‘thing’.
- Community wellbeing – people who get involved with the community have improved health.
- You can turn off the bad genes and turn on the good genes within 4 months of good sleep, meditation, exercise, good food and improved relationships. You can shift your longevity through meditation.
- When you say to yourself “I’m running out of time” or “I don’t have time to do this” your body will take it literally!
- Resurrecting the soul – the more in touch you are with your soul, the more spontaneity you’ll experience and grace you’ll invite into your life.
- Mindful Awareness and meditation are a form of internal experience that promote neuroplasticity (the ability of the brain and nervous system to change structurally and functionally).
- When feeling stressed, stop and listen to your body and use the SODA acronym: Stop Observe Detach from Automatic behaviour.
- Be present when talking to someone; look in their eyes and smile
- Mindful Living: Pay attention to sound, touch, taste, sight and smell. Take a day to be mindful of each. Then be mindful of the body: breath, heart, visceral, sensations, images, feelings and thoughts – this combination of Mindful Living will cause metacognition (enlightment). Observe yourself without judging yourself.
- Happiness equation: H = S+C+V. H obviously stands for Happiness, S – set point (brain mechanism determined in first 3 years of your life), C – conditions of living (material) and V – voluntary choices. The good news is that through mindfulness, we can change our set point. Yippee!
One of the highlights of Deepak’s talk was a 30 minute meditation he guided us through that I’m going to share with you below. I’d never meditated with such a large group of people before – it was incredible!
This type of meditation begins the process of healing through synchronicity. It activates different parts of the brain. There are 4 stages:
- Mantra – “I am”. This should be repeated in your mind’s eye for about 20 minutes until you are simply “being”.
- Feeling – Love, Compassion, Joy and Peace. Put your attention to your heart and then think of someone you love. Then think of someone or something you have compassion for. Still with your attention being at your heart, think of a moment or something that makes you feel joy. And lastly, think of being at peace.
- Thinking & Understanding – self reflection. These are the ‘big’ questions: Who Am I, What Do I Want and What Is My Life Purpose? Ask and listen. May see images or hear thoughts…
- Action & Doing of Consciousness – Bring your attention to your heart. Feel it beating. Then with palms facing up resting on your thighs, bring your attention to your fingertips and feel your heart beating in your fingertips (it really works if you concentrate and it lowers your blood pressure!), then once you feel your heart in your fingertips, try and feel it beating in your cheeks.
- Chakras – lastly, imagine a different colour ball on all 7 chakra points. Begin with thinking of a coloured ball at the base of your spine, then a ball below your naval, middle of your stomach, heart, throat, third eye and crown of your head. Finally, bring all your attention to your whole body as one light.
I’d really luv my blog & facebook page to become a community! Please feel very welcome to leave a comment or ask a question on anything I write about…I’d luv to hear your thoughts! xx